Translate

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Rattler



Bruce was the lead hiker early this afternoon as we crossed a sunny, dry ridge.  Suddenly he lurched backwards saying "Whoa" and pointed at the trail just ahead of him.  I leaned forward and examined the magnificent snake stretched across the trail.  It was about 4 feet long and as thick as a commercial garden hose.
"I think it's a rattler," I said.
"Nah, I almost stepped on it.  It would have rattled if it it was a rattlesnake," replied Bruce.
"Isn't that a rattle on its tail?" I asked.
"Mmm, yes, I guess it is a rattler" he conceded.
We and the rattler admired each other from a respectful distance for more than 10 minutes.  We finally did a detour around the snake and left him to his sunbathing.


The experience did give us the opportunity to consider what we would have done if Bruce had been bitten 5 miles from any road.  It involves me jumping up and down and singing "better you than me", but there would also be a telephone call or a jog to where there was cell coverage.

Less threatening wildlife sightings today included a deer, a grouse or turkey, and many chipmunks and squirrels.

We only met three other hikers today and it appears that we are the only guests at the Blue Mountain shelter tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment